Monday, January 14, 2013

When to purchase a large item



Author: Brittany

My significant other and I own a duplex. Instead of renting out one side, we actually live in the entire duplex. One kitchen has no appliances in it besides a dishwasher. The other has appliances older than myself in it. For quite a long time, my significant other and I have been discussing putting appliances in the kitchen without appliances since that kitchen is on the floor that we spend the majority of our time on. We’ve been checking Sears, Lowe’s, HH Gregg, and various other stores for sales and the like for about 3-5 months at this point.

We discovered last week that the Sears in Monroeville, near the Monroeville Mall, is going out of business. The sales associate stated that the Sears is being replaced by a Walmart and Sears had no intention of leaving, but due to their leaving, everything at that store is 40% or more off the original price. You know what that means! GREAT SALES!

My SO and I went to look at appliances there on Saturday. We found a lovely Frigidaire midline model for $850 (originally $1500) and a great GE gas range for $450 (originally $800). Both are floor models, so the fridge is missing a door shelf (it has the kind that are movable) and the stove needs one knob, which are easily replaceable and cheap to replace. Other than the missing items, both are in fantastic shape. Can’t do much better than that!

In the end, I was able to buy a better quality fridge and range than I had planned due to the great going out of business sale. We also plan to take these appliances with us when we move in the next 3-5 years, so these will last us a long time!

What are some great deals you have gotten in the past?

No comments:

Post a Comment