Thursday, October 11, 2012

Winterizing Your Home

Author: Derron



With winter not too far off, I’ve decided to start “winterizing” my home and getting other things ready for an extended period of cold weather.  If you live in an older home like me, drafts, cold air and frost on the windows are a way of life.  Recently I have started to do some things in my home that help with keeping the heat in which then keeps my heating bill manageable.  Here is a list of some helpful hints that may work for you:


 Weather proof your windows- These are fairly inexpensive materials that can keep the cold air out and warm air in.  Kits for this are sold at many places such as Wal-Mart, Target and other stores which may have a home section.  Pretty simple, you put plastic on your windows, hit them with a hair dryer and it seals shut.  The kits also normally come with weather stripping for doors and cracks.

 Space heaters-My recommendation for this are space heaters that say on the box it utilizes a ceramic heating element.  These are usually safer and more cost efficient.  I use a space heater in the room my family is in.  I also have them placed around the house in frequented areas.  There is no dramatic increase in your electric bill by using the space heaters but it does cut the cost of heating with gas.

 Setting your thermostat at one temperature-This one kind of goes with the previous space heater tip.  In the winter, I set my thermostat at 62.  Then I use a space heater if I need to.  What this does is decreases the number times your furnace will turn on and off if your house is losing some of the heat.  Set it at a comfortable degree that fits your family and use space heaters for a boost of that warm air.

 Check your attic insulation-I was surprised to learn that the insulation in my attic was so old it just wasn’t working.  One of things I was told by the people installing my new insulation was to look at your roof when there is snow on it.  If, after a snow, your roof commonly keeps snow on it, that means there is cold air below it and is not allowing the snow to melt.  Usually in the attic.  If, after a snow, you notice your roof is frequently lacking snow that is due in part to the house holding its heat and the attic is warmer.  Check it out next time it snows at your house.

 Keep your curtains open (during the day) - How many times have you come home on a hot summer day and you can just feel the heat coming through the windows.  Same thing applies to the winter.  Keeping your curtains open during daylight hours allows the suns natural heat to warm your home.  If you set your thermostat a lower temperature, this will warm your home and prevent your furnace from frequent starts and stops.

These are just a few tips for what I call “winterizing” your home.  But remember safety comes first.  Avoid using ovens, oil lamps, older space heaters, candles and un-inspected fire places to keep warm.  These are all fire hazards and should not be used to warm your home.  So stay safe and keep warm.

No comments:

Post a Comment