Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Money Saving 101: Spending Diary


Do you honestly know where you money goes on any given day? An activity we have in the Financial Wellness class is a one week ‘spending diary’. In it you are supposed to list all the things you spend money on, Sunday through Saturday. I challenge people to try it for a week and then take a good hard look at where your money went and if there is anything you could change for the better! I completed my own spending diary over the past week and here is what I discovered about my spending habits. 

Sunday
                         $0: Hooray!
             No money was spent on Sunday. My husband and I went to church and then visited family.

Monday
$5.00: coffee and snack while driving around for work
I found (as you will see from the rest of the spending diary) that I have a problem with little stops for coffee and a quick snack when spending a lot of time in the car. Once in awhile is fine, but I definitely need to work on cutting back! Those little $3 or $5 stops can add up fast.

Tuesday
  $4.48: small grocery trip for milk, bread and Cheetos
Bread and milk were necessities. Cheetos were not, but they were delicious.
  $26.00: dinner with my husband and friends
We had a wonderful time visiting with some friends we have not seen in awhile over dinner. We had a gift card for the restaurant we were at and the total above includes the tip. That total is not too bad for four people at a nice restaurant. Had we not had the gift card, the total bill would have been close to triple that!

Wednesday
    $0
Packed lunch and didn’t make any stops that required me spending money. That night, I made dinner at home! Another successful $0 spending day.

Thursday:
   $5.36: lunch
Between meetings and classes, I was not at my office at all on Thursday. My lunch would have sat in my hot car all day so I opted for buying instead. One way to avoid buying lunches on days like this is to invest in a good insulated lunch box and some ‘blue ice’ cooling pouches. Think about packing things like a good old PBJ, even if it’s not ice cold, it is still going to taste great!
     $17.13: Target stop for a refill on cleaning supplies, a mouse trap, Chap Stick and shampoo.
We have been running low on some household cleaners and when I needed to buy a mousetrap (yes, we have a mouse in the house). I decided to go ahead and grab the few other things we needed. Shampoo and Chap Stick were also on the list as things that need replenishing.
Friday
 $33.03: gas
Sadly, gas is costing us more and more. Thankfully, I get pretty decent mileage on my car and only have to fill up about once a week. I do try to look for the best gas prices to save some money as well. For example, the gas station by my house is usually .5 cents more than the one by my work. If I need gas I try to get it when I am at work. I also try to utilize any ‘fuel perks’ I earn while shopping at my local grocery store.
  $2.77: breakfast
Again with the small stops. After doing this spending diary I am going to limit myself to one coffee/snack stop a week!
  $30:  dinner date
A little while ago I wrote about using Groupons, spending within those Groupons to make them most effective and how to plan for when you know you are going to spend more. This is a restaurant that is more expensive in nature that we had a Groupon for. We did know ahead of time we were going to spend more than the Groupon and adjusted our eating out budget to fit both this and the dinner we had on Tuesday! We will be eating at home for the next few weeks!

Saturday
  $30: over budget during a shopping trip
I have an important evening event coming up and I have known about it for a little over a month now. Because of this, I have set aside some ‘dress money’ to go shopping, which I did, and ended up $30 over what I had planned. This happens to us all once and awhile, but the key is to A. Not go outside your budget in every category and on every trip and B. Have some savings put away to cover those extra expenses you are not planning on! The extra $30 was not needed to keep our lights on or our water running because we are careful to budget and plan. Going over budget once and awhile is ok but we stick to our budget 99% of the time to afford that little 1% luxury once and awhile – well worth it!

In general, I saw that I was spending way too much money on making little stops and will definitely be cutting back on that! I also saw the benefits of sticking to your budget so when you do go over once and awhile, it is ok and you do not need to stress. Budgeting is so important to have a financially well life and this exercise really opened my eyes to even the little things that can affect it. Always remember the big picture when spending your money! I would encourage everyone to try this – you never know what you are going to find!

No comments:

Post a Comment