Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Money Saving 101: That Expensive Cup of Coffee

If you've been reading this blog on a regular basis, you'll know that I have a Starbucks addiction. I cannot resist a Caramel Latte or a Chai Latte.

A grande Caramel Latte costs me $4.33 here in the Pittsburgh area. I'm sure their prices vary by area as I once paid over $5 for the same drink in New York City, and that was a few years ago.

The price of that Caramel Latte is mind-boggling to me and to most people, I'm sure. Why does one cup of "fancy" coffee cost SO MUCH MONEY and why am I willing to pay THAT MUCH MONEY!?

The answer to both of those questions is: I'm not entirely sure. I really don't know why I am so awed by a latte in a white paper cup with a sleeve. In fact, I worked for a Starbucks in college for over a year, so I know how that delicious little cup of coffee is made from start to finish. I love the taste, but that's about it.

As I've stated before, I try to limit myself to 3-4 Starbucks coffees per month. That equals between $12.99-17.32 per month. That's a lot of money I could spend on something else!

I've thought of some alternatives for my Starbucks addiction and have been trying them since we started the 30 Day No Restaurant Challenge. Listed below are my alternatives and thoughts about them:

Maxwell House Caramel Latte Instant Coffee: This brand comes in 8.7 ounce containers which cost around $3.50 here in PA. I can make approximately 10 cups of coffee with this brand for a total of 35 cents per cup of coffee. This brand is delicious and fairly inexpensive.

Hills Bros. Instant Cappuccino: This brand comes in 16 ounce containers and costs around $3.15. I can make approximately 25 cups of coffee with one container for a total of 12 cents per cup of coffee. I find this brand much more delicious than the Maxwell House brand, and it is quite a bit cheaper (always good in my book!).

Keurig K-Cups of Different Flavored Coffees: A box of 12 K-Cups is around $10. If I make my coffee to take along with me to work, I use our Keurig at home. This costs me 83 cents per cup of coffee plus minimal costs for cream and sugar. Fairly delicious and more customizable.

Coffee Machine at Work: We have a coffee machine here at FSWP that costs 35 cents for a regular cup of coffee and 50 cents for a "latte." This isn't too terrible of a price, but the coffee is HORRENDOUS. It might be THE worst cup of coffee I've ever had. This is the coffee of last resort.

For me, it is easier, more delicious, and cheaper, to keep a box of the Hills Bros. coffee in my desk at work and make my cup (or two or three) of coffee when I get here. If I have my coffee at work, I'm less likely to want a Starbucks when I go home and if I know I have an awesome cup of coffee waiting for me when I get here, I'm less likely to stop and get a Starbucks.

What is one thing that you are addicted to? Are there any acceptable alternatives that you've found?

No comments:

Post a Comment