Thursday, April 19, 2012

Money Saving 101: When to Buy Brand Names


What is one thing you’d pay top dollar for? Everyone has that one thing, no matter how much it would cost, that you would buy.

How about food? 

For me, I would have to say Hidden Valley Ranch. I’ve talked about my love for Hidden Valley Ranch during my blog about generics. There is no ranch like Hidden Valley. I’ve tried almost every ranch on the market looking for a cheaper alternative, but have had no luck. There’s just no substitute for the original. Lindsey will only buy Daisy Sour Cream. She has tried others but, like me, cannot find one that tastes as great. 

How about clothing? 

My coworker’s husband only will buy a certain brand of shoes because he is a tall man and has large feet. Other brands do not stand up to the wear and tear of a 6’8” tall man playing basketball. My boss will only buy brand name tennis shoes for her kids because the other cheaper brands at Kmart/Walmart get destroyed quickly and start to smell. I will always buy two pairs of jeans if I find a pair that fit because I’m a small woman and it is hard for me to find jeans/pants that fit me well.

How about household items?

One thing the girls in this office will always buy a brand name of deodorant and toilet paper. Why? Certain brand names of deodorant work better than others for people. Toilet paper isn’t worth it if you buy one ply, cheap toilet paper. It’s like sandpaper and takes four times as much toilet paper as a brand name toilet paper. I have to buy Aveeno face wash and face lotion because I have Rosacea and other brands make me break out. My boss will only buy Tide detergent. She has four kids and nothing works like Tide to get stains out and keep her kids’ clothes looking good.

Why did I ask that question?

I asked that question because I wanted to let you know that it is OKAY to buy brand names. There are certain items that are just much better quality in the brand name form than they are in their generic form. Sometimes it is just better to buy a bottle of Tide for $11 for 64 loads than to buy a cheap brand that costs you $5 for 64 loads but doesn’t do a good job and you end up washing your clothes again. I recommend trying to find a generic that works, but in some instances, it’s better just to buy what you know will work for you and your family.

No comments:

Post a Comment