Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Money Saving 101: Cut the Stuff


The word “stuff” is a common phrase most Americans, including me, use to describe what they own. This can include anything from shoes to clothes to the computer to the TV to the collection of bells my great-grandmother owned and much, MUCH more. Americans seem to value their lives by the stuff they have instead of connections with others, education, etc. I’m not saying that all Americans are obsessed with stuff, but it’s definitely a common thing to see in the U.S. 

One way to save money is to “cut the stuff.” I spent a total of 4 months in Uganda working with AIDS orphans at Nyaka AIDS Orphans School. While I was there, and I was 21 at the time, I realized that “stuff” isn’t what is important. I lived out of a suitcase for months. I had basically a week’s worth of outfits that I washed each weekend and a couple of outfits for fancier occasions such as church or a dinner. I realized then that a closet full of clothes and 20 pairs or more of shoes just wasn’t important anymore. I also owned something like 300+ books at the time. I love to read. I’m obsessed with reading and finding new authors and new books to read. Having hundreds of books just wasn’t that important after seeing kids that rarely have soap and the basic necessities in life, and here I am with hundreds of books and hundreds of items of clothing.

One way to “cut the stuff” is to sort through your home one room or one closet at a time. For me, I started with the closet. If I hadn’t worn something in over one year, I wasn’t going to wear it. If it looked faded and old, and it wasn’t comfortable anymore, I wasn’t going to wear it again. I got rid of half of my clothes that way. I threw away what wasn’t wearable anymore or tore it up for use as rags. I donated the rest to Goodwill or Salvation Army. Others may decide to sell their clothes, especially high end clothing. I also donated about 20 pairs of shoes. I still have several pairs of high heels for use at work, and I do actually wear them. 

Another way to cut the stuff is to go through other things in your home. For me, it was books. I gathered about 150-200 books and donated them to my local library and local Boys & Girls Clubs. I could have taken the time to sell them, but, for me, it wasn’t about the money, it was about simplifying my life. I kept books I hadn’t read, my favorites, and classics that I could reread or my kids could read in the future (whenever I actually have kids). 

When I was simplifying my life and getting rid of things, I asked myself some questions:

Have I used this in the past 1-2 years?
Is this usable?
Is this something I can sell?
Is this something I would keep if I moved?
Is this something I actually use on a regular basis?

I’ve gotten to the point that if I haven’t used something in a year, I probably won’t use it. If I need something like it in the future, I can always borrow one or buy one if necessary. Not having a lot of stuff gives me peace of mind. My house is less cluttered and so my brain is less cluttered. I have less of an attachment to the things I have, so if someone or something were to take that item from me, I wouldn’t be too upset. I find I don’t spend that much money buying things or stuff. I save because I don’t feel the need to clutter my uncluttered home. 

You could also save by selling your stuff. It is fairly easy to sell things on ebay or Amazon or other online websites. Most financial experts say that you should have a $1,000 emergency fund. This is just one way to start that emergency fund.

No comments:

Post a Comment