Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Money Saving 101: Thrift Store Shopping


A couple years ago, I was at my local thrift store and found a brand new Burberry polo shirt for 2 dollars. You read that correctly, TWO DOLLARS for a shirt that retails at around $125.00. That’s a savings of $123!

I’d like to share with you the wisdom of a thrift store shopper as I have been one for quite some time. (Working in the social service industry, it behooves one to shop at thrift stores and seek bargains whenever possible.) 

1.  If you live near an affluent neighborhood or city, and you’re looking for name brand clothing, this is the place to go. Lots of times, I’ve found basically brand new items (some with the tags still on) at thrift shops in affluent areas. 

2. If you live in a college town, which I did for 15 years, wait until the students go home for the summer. Two weeks after school lets out is the best time to visit your local thrift shop. They’re overrun with items from students that don’t want to take the time to ship or drag their clothes back home with them. This is how I got my Burberry shirt.

3. Thrift shops are also good for furniture and other household items. Big stores like Target send their slightly damaged items or items that have been returned for various reasons to thrift stores in their local area. I got a set of throw pillows that I had been eyeing at my local Target for $2 per pillow. The pillows at Target had been $12-15 per pillow.

4. Coats. I’ve found some pretty awesome jackets. I have several blazers from Goodwill that I get compliments on a regular basis on.

5. Take cash. By taking cash only, you’ve got a budget on how much you can spend. This keeps you from overspending. A lot of local thrift shops only take cash/check.

I encourage everyone to check out their local thrift shops. You never know when you’ll find a Burberry shirt or a gorgeous skirt for basically nothing!

No comments:

Post a Comment