Friday, July 20, 2012

30 Day Challenge Part Dos – Week 3

Today's author: Lindsey


I am happy to report that week three was successful. We did not go out to eat for dinner. We have been using food we had at home and did our biggest ‘shopping trip’ since we started the 30 day challenge (shopping at Costco every two months really lasts a long time!). We went to the local supermarket and bought fruit, milk, veggies, bread, etc. and spent about $30 in total. 

For lunches we continued to use some of the food we had bought including some yummy Hot Pockets we bought during our shopping trip. I did, however, discover one thing. Even though we pack lunch with good intentions, sometimes it just goes bad. 

Everyone has been experiencing a heat wave where they live and Pittsburgh has been no stranger. Reaching close to the 100s (!) everyday has made things pretty unbearable. As I have mentioned before, because I spend a lot of my day driving to different locations for work, I don’t always have a fridge and a cold office to store my lunch in. On Wednesday I had made myself a delicious salad and put it in an insulated lunch box with ice. Sadly, it was soggy and hot when I opened it some four or five hours later. Clearly I was going to have to buy lunch. Instead of going all out and spending $6 on a complete meal, I decided on an iced coffee and baked potato from Wendy’s and only spent $2.77! I also felt pretty good about eating semi-healthy and avoiding my favorite food, French fries. 

All in all, we were pretty proud of ourselves this week, but realized sometimes, you just can’t beat the heat.

No comments:

Post a Comment