Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Money Saving 101: Transportation

Today's author: Lindsey


A little extra ‘drive’ to save money.

Transportation can be expensive. Whether you drive, bus or anything in between, costs have no sign of going down, so what can you do to maximize your personal transportation cost? One thing I have learned since living in the city is that a little drive outside of it can save me a ton of money! While you may not live in a city, the principle would still apply – is where you are spending your money really the best place to be doing so?

Gas: The gas station on my street is currently selling their gas at $3.45 a gallon. Those of us who have cars know; you can’t not get gas! I have found, however, that just because I HAVE to get it does not mean I NEED to stop at the first gas station I see. When I am in the suburbs, I have found gas to be almost 10 cents less than the gas I find in the city. That is a lot of money when thinking about the price of gas! What I have started doing is planning my fill-ups when I will be in the areas with better gas prices. Another tip would be to look around the area you are in, like fast food resultants that seem to all be beside each other, many gas station have a competitor across the street or down the road a little way that may be priced better! 

Bus: If you use public transportation, sit down and figure out what is best for you! Do you ride the bus or use the transportation system enough throughout the week to make it worth any sort of month or week long pass? Though it may seem cheaper now, if you don’t use it enough to have it ‘pay for itself’ than you may be better of paying per a ticket! 

Travel: How to get there? Drive, bus, train or plane there are many ways to travel. When taking a trip and your budget is a factor, sit down and decided the most cost efficient way to get there. It may be longer but driving can be cheaper. Contrary to popular belief, trains or buses can sometimes be more expensive that a plane ticket so do your research to find out what is cheapest! When flying, remember than a car rental may be added into the equation on top of a ticket so remember to calculate that as well. 

These are just three of the many ways you can start looking at your cost of transportation. What are some other things you do to save?

No comments:

Post a Comment